You are here
Goldwin Smith Professor of Classical Archaeology
Research Interests and Activities:
Aegean, Cypriot, Anatolian and east Mediterranean archaeology, classical archaeology
Complex societies, state formation and interactions
Dendrochronology/Dendroarchaeology, Radiocarbon dating and analysis - Mediterranean-Near East, N. America, Mexico and China
Climate (palaeoclimate) and archaeology/history
For publications and information, see: http://cornell.academia.edu/SturtWManning
Classical archaeology, east Mediterranean archaeology, climate and archaeology, dendrochronology, radiocarbon dating and analysis
- Archaeology Program
- Geological Sciences
- History of Art, Archaeology and Visual Studies
- Medieval Studies
- Near Eastern Studies
- Cornell Institute of Archaeology and Material Studies (CIAMS)
- Cornell Tree-Ring Laboratory
- Aegean Prehistory, Archaeological fieldwork (survey and excavation), Archaeological theory, Classical archaeology, Cypriot Prehistory, East Mediterranean Prehistory, e.g. landscapes, cultural connections, trade, art, chronology, and identities in Aegean, Cypriot and east Mediterranean prehistory
- Archaeological science, Dendrochronology, Dendrochemistry, Dendroclimatology, Environmental and climate change science, Radiocarbon calibration and archaeological dating - east Mediterranean, Near East, North America, Mexico and China
- Manning, S.W. 2014. A Test of Time and A Test of Time Revisited. The volcano of Thera and the chronology and history of the Aegean and east Mediterranean in the mid-second millennium BC. Oxford: Oxbow Books. Reprint of Manning 1999 with new 202 page Revisit Essay (2014).
- Manning, S.W. and Bruce, M.J. (eds.). 2009. Tree-Rings, Kings and Old World Archaeology and Environment: Papers Presented in Honor of Peter Ian Kuniholm. Oxford: Oxbow Books.
- Manning, S.W., et al. 2002. The Late Roman Church at Maroni Petrera: Survey and salvage excavations 1990-1997, and other traces of Roman remains in the lower Maroni Valley, Cyprus. Nicosia: The A.G. Leventis Foundation.
- Manning, S.W. 2001. The Absolute Chronology of the Aegean Early Bronze Age: archaeology, history and radiocarbon. Monographs in Mediterranean Archaeology 1. Reprint (from 1995). Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press.
- Manning, S.W. 1999. A Test of Time: the volcano of Thera and the chronology and history of the Aegean and east Mediterranean in the mid-second millennium BC. Oxford: Oxbow Books.
- Knapp, A.B. and Manning, S.W. 2016. Crisis in Context: The End of the Late Bronze Age in the Eastern Mediterranean. American Journal of Archaeology 120(1): 99-149.
- Manning, S.W. 2015. Radiocarbon dating and archaeology: history, progress and present status. In R. Chapman and A. Wylie (eds.), Material Evidence: Learning from Archaeological Practice: 128-158. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Manning, S.W. 2015. Temporal Placement and Context of Cypro-PPNA Activity on Cyprus. Eurasian Prehistory 11(1-2): 9-28.
- Manning, S.W., Höflmayer, F., Moeller, N., Dee, M.W., Bronk Ramsey, C., Fleitmann, D., Higham, T., Kutschera, W. and Wild, E.M. 2014. Dating the Thera (Santorini) eruption: archaeological and scientific evidence supporting a high chronology. Antiquity 88: 1164-1179.
- Manning, S.W. Timings and gaps in the early history of Cyprus and its copper trade—what these might tell us. In J.M. Webb (ed.), Structure, Measurement and Meaning. Studies on Prehistoric Cyprus in Honour of David Frankel: 23-42. SIMA CXLIII. Uppsala: Åströms Förlag.
- Manning, S.W., Andreou, G.-M., Fisher, K.D., Gerard-Little, P., Kearns, C., Leon, J.F., Sewell, D.A. and Urban, T.M. 2014. Becoming Urban: Investigating the Anatomy of the Late Bronze Age Complex, Maroni, Cyprus. Journal of Mediterranean Archaeology 27: 3-32.
- Urban, T.M., Leon, J.F., Manning, S.W. and Fisher, K.D. 2014. High resolution GPR mapping of Late Bronze Age architecture at Kalavasos-Ayios Dhimitrios, Cyprus. Journal of Applied Geophysics 107: 129-136.
- Manning, S.W., Dee, M.W., Wild, E.M., Bronk Ramsey, C., Bandy, K., Creasman, P.P., Griggs, C.B., Pearson, C.L., Shortland, A.J. and Steier, P. 2014. High-precision dendro-14C dating of two cedar wood sequences from First Intermediate Period and Middle Kingdom Egypt and a small regional climate-related 14C divergence. Journal of Archaeological Science 46: 401-416.
- Lorentzen, B., Manning, S.W. and Kahanov, Y. 2014. The 1st Millennium AD Mediterranean Shipbuilding Transition at Dor/Tantura Lagoon, Israel: dating the Dor 2001/1 shipwreck. Radiocarbon 56(2): 667-678.
- Lorentzen, B., Manning, S.W., Cvikel, D. and Kahanov, Y. 2014. High-precision dating the Akko 1 shipwreck, Israel: wiggle-matching the life and death of a ship into the historical record. Journal of Archaeological Science 41: 772-783.
- Griggs, C., Pearson, C., Manning, S.W. and Lorentzen, B. 2014. A 250-year annual precipitation reconstruction and drought assessment for Cyprus from Pinus brutia Ten. tree-rings. International Journal of Climatology 34: 2702-2714.
- Manning, S.W. 2013. Cyprus at 2200 BC: rethinking the chronology of the Cypriot Early Bronze Age. In A. B. Knapp, J.M. Webb and A. McCarthy (eds.), J.R.B. Stewart – An Archaeological Legacy: 1-21. SIMA CXXXIX. Uppsala: Åströms Förlag.
- Manning, S.W. 2013. The Roman World and Climate: Context, Relevance of Climate Change, and Some Issues. In W.V. Harris (ed.), The Ancient Mediterranean Environment between Sciences and History: 103-170. Leiden: Brill.
- Manning, S.W. 2013. Appendix: A New Radiocarbon Chronology for Prehistoric and Protohistoric Cyprus, ca. 11,000-1050 Cal BC. In A.B. Knapp, The Archaeology of Cyprus: From Earliest Prehistory through the Bronze Age: 485-533. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Weiss, H., Manning, S.W., Ristvet, L., Mori, L., Besonen, M., McCarthy, A., Quenet, P., Smith, A. and Bahrani, Z. 2012. Tell Leilan Akkadian Imperialization, Collapse and Short-Lived Reoccupation Defined by High-Resolution Radiocarbon Dating. In H. Weiss (ed.), Seven Generations Since the Fall of Akkad: 163-192. Studia Chaburensia 3. Weisbaden: Harrassowitz Verlag.
- Manning, S.W. and Kromer, B. 2012. Considerations of the scale of radiocarbon offsets in the east Mediterranean, and considering a case for the latest (most recent) likely date for the Santorini eruption. Radiocarbon 54 (3-4): 449-474.
- Rich, S., Manning, S.W., Degryse, P., Vanhaecke, F. and Van Lerberghe, K.J. 2012. Strontium Strontium isotopic and tree-ring signatures of Cedrus brevifolia in Cyprus. Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry 27: 796-806.
- Manning, S.W. and Kromer, B. 2011. Radiocarbon Dating Iron Age Gordion and the Early Phrygian Destruction in Particular. In C.B. Rose and G. Darbyshire (eds.), The New Chronology of Iron Age Gordion: 123-153. Gordion Special Studies VI. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
- Manning, S.W., McCartney, C., Kromer, B. and Stewart, S.T. 2010. The earlier Neolithic in Cyprus: recognition and dating of a Pre-Pottery Neolithic A occupation. Antiquity 84: 693-706.
- Manning, S.W., Kromer, B., Bronk Ramsey, C., Pearson, C.L., Talamo, S., Trano, N. andWatkins, J.D. 2010. 14C Record and Wiggle-Match Placement for the Anatolian (Gordion Area) Juniper Tree-Ring Chronology ~1729 to 751 Cal BC, and typical Aegean/Anatolian (growing season related) regional 14C offset assessment. Radiocarbon 52(4): 1571-1597.
- Manning, S.W., Pulak, C., Kromer, B., Talamo, S., Bronk Ramsey, C. and Dee, M. 2009. Absolute Age of the Uluburun Shipwreck: A Key Late Bronze Age Time-Capsule for the East Mediterranean. In S.W. Manning and M.J. Bruce, M.J. (eds.), Tree-Rings, Kings and Old World Archaeology and Environment: Papers Presented in Honor of Peter Ian Kuniholm: 163-187. Oxford: Oxbow Books.
- Manning, S.W. 2008. An Edited Past: Aegean Prehistory and Its Texts. In M.A. Cheetham, E. Legge and C.M. Soussloff (eds.), Editing the Image: Strategies in the Production and Reception of the Visual: 33-65. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- Manning, S.W. 2008. Protopalatial Crete: Formation of the palaces. In C.W. Shelmerdine (ed.), The Cambridge companion to the Aegean Bronze Age: 105-120. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Manning, S.W., Bronk Ramsey, C., Kutschera, W., Higham, T., Kromer, B., Steier, P. and Wild, E. 2006. Chronology for the Aegean Late Bronze Age. Science 312: 565-569.
- Manning, S.W. and Hulin, L. 2005. Maritime commerce and geographies of mobility in the Late Bronze Age of the eastern Mediterranean: problematizations. In E. Blake and A.B. Knapp (eds.), The archaeology of Mediterranean prehistory: 270-302. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing.
- Pearson, C.L., Manning, S.W., Coleman,M. and Jarvis, K. 2005. Can tree-ring chemistry reveal absolute dates for past volcanic eruptions? Journal of Archaeological Science. 32: 1265-1274.
- Turetsky, M.R., Manning, S.W. and Wieder, R.K. 2004. Dating recent peat deposits. Wetlands 24: 324-356.
- Manning, S.W., Sewell, D.A. and Herscher, E. 2002. Late Cypriot IA maritime trade in action: underwater survey at Maroni-Tsaroukkas and the contemporary east Mediterranean trading system. Annual of the British School at Athens 97: 97-162.
- Manning, S.W., Kromer, B, Kuniholm, P.I. and Newton, M.W. 2001. Anatolian tree-rings and a new chronology for the east Mediterranean Bronze-Iron Ages. Science 294: 2532-2535.
- Kromer, B., Manning, S.W., Kuniholm, P.I., Newton, M.W., Spurk, M. and Levin, I. 2001. Regional 14CO2 offsets in the troposphere: magnitude, mechanisms, and consequences. Science 294: 2529-2532.
- Manning, S.W., Weninger, B., South, A.K., Kling, B., Kuniholm, P.I., Muhly, J.D., Hadjisavvas, S., Sewell, D.A. and Cadogan, G. 2001. Absolute age range of the Late Cypriot IIC period on Cyprus. Antiquity 75: 328-340.
- Manning, S.W. 1999. Knossos and the limits of settlement growth. In P.P. Betancourt, V. Karageorghis, R. Laffineur and W.-D. Niemeier (eds.), Meletemata: studies in Aegean archaeology presented to Malcolm H. Wiener as he enters his 65th year: 469-480. Liège and Austin: Histoire de l’art et archéologie de la Grèce antique, Université de Liège and Program in Aegean Scripts and Prehistory, University of Texas at Austin.
- Manning, S.W. 1998. Changing pasts and socio-political cognition in Late Bronze Age Cyprus. World Archaeology 30: 39-58.
- Manning, S.W. and Monks, S.J. with contributions by Steel, L., Ribeiro, E.C. and Weinstein, J.M. 1998. Late Cypriot Tombs at Maroni Tsaroukkas, Cyprus. Annual of the British School at Athens 93: 297-351.
- Manning, S.W. 1998. From process to people: longue durée to history. In E.H. Cline and D. Harris-Cline (eds.), The Aegean and the Orient in the second millennium: Proceedings of the 50th Anniversary Symposium Cincinnati, 18-20 April 1997: 311-325. Aegaeum 18. Liège and Austin: Université de Liège and University of Texas at Austin.
- Manning, S.W. 1997. Cultural change in the Aegean c.2200BC. In H.N. Dalfes, G. Kukla and H. Weiss (eds.), Third millennium BC climate change and old world collapse: 149-171. NATO ASI Series I, vol.49. Berlin: Springer.
- Manning, S.W. and De Mita, F.A. Jr. 1997. Cyprus, the Aegean, and Maroni Tsaroukkas. In Cyprus and the Aegean in Antiquity: Proceedings of the International Conference Cyprus and the Aegean in Antiquity from the prehistoric period to the 7th century A.D., Nicosia 8-10 December 1995: 103-141. Nicosia: Department of Antiquities, Cyprus.
- Manning, S.W. 1994. The emergence of divergence: development and decline on Bronze Age Crete and the Cyclades. In C. Mathers and S. Stoddart (eds.), Development and Decline in the Mediterranean Bronze Age: 221-270. Sheffield Archaeological Monographs 8. Sheffield: J.R. Collis Publications.
- Manning, S.W. 1993. Prestige, distinction and competition: the anatomy of socio-economic complexity in fourth to second millennium B.C.E. Cyprus. Bulletin of the American Schools of Oriental Research 292: 35-58.
- Manning, S.W. 1992. Archaeology and the world of Homer: introduction to a past and present discipline. In C. Emlyn-Jones, L. Hardwick and J. Purkis (eds.), Homer: readings and images: 117-142. London: Duckworth.
- Manning, S.W. 1988. The Bronze Age eruption of Thera: absolute dating, Aegean chronology and Mediterranean cultural interrelations. Journal of Mediterranean Archaeology 1(1):17-82.